We often say it takes a village to raise a child. It also takes a village to help with an aging parent. This is especially true if you do not live near your parents. In the beginning of 2017, our Father experienced a medical emergency. God is faithful and our Father is home and is doing well. I will share some insights that can help.
- Have a list of your parents’ medication(s) including dosage.
- Have a list of your parents’ heath care providers.
- Get wills and power of attorney. Have copies.
- Have a list of your parents’ household bills and affairs. For example, when is trash pick up?
- Coordinate who will provide care. Who lives nearby?
These discussions can be difficult but they are so important. Having this information readily available in a binder will make your life so much easier. Proverbs 22:3 (NLT)” A prudent person forsees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers consequences”. Finally, I truly believe that these discussions with your parents will give them the confidence that they will be well taken care of.